Thursday, November 24, 2011

thoughts of the day: thanksgiving day



If Thanksgiving  could have waited another week, I would have been ready for it. This may have been the first time I have ever been truly, and chosenly, alone for Thanksgiving. Kinda strange, but frankly, necessary.


Yesterday was my first real day off in months, because I know it will be followed by another day off and then another and another!!! So, as all first days off go...I wandered in a fog, doing mindless tasks.
I did, however, talk with a handleful of people that are close to my heart, and they siphoned from me all the social energy. I slept like a sinking whale carcass.


And today I woke up, ready to feel again. I miss waking up just feeling READY.


I did things that reset by empirical self: such as thoroughly cleaning the truck (which included removing a couple quarts of pea gravel, and a few pounds of farm soil, from the cab alone.)
I spun records. (thanks to Wes Montgomery, Joni Mitchell & Built to Spill)
I carefully sawed some ornamental gourds that have been curing for a year, and painted them. tomorrow i'll epoxy em and they will go to those pre-qualifying souls, who shall remain unnamed.


I really wasn't hungry all day, but still really wanted to make delicious food.
So, I roasted parnsips, potatoes and purple-top turnips in olive oil and oregano (feta cheese added later). I made a quick, tamari-shitake mushroom gravy which was drizzled over the roasted goods that were placed over a pile of sweet spinach and chopped roasted garlic in one ceramic bowl.
Then I made baked pumpkin pie-pudding, that i created a crispy, coconut-millet crust that was actually successful (awe Millet, we are finally getting to know each other).
I also sipped on this delicious small batch hard cider finished with Belgian yeast called "Crisp."


I ended the day by watching American Psycho, which made me laugh and gawk at Christian Bale's amazing performance. seriously.


I tried not to think of the things that have been weighing heavily on my heart. the things that make me nervous and stressed out. I am just thankful to have some time alone. I miss my family and that ever-warming sunshine that goes straight to the bones.


"Songs are tattoos, you know
I've been to sea before.
Crown and anchor me
or let me sail away...
Hey blue, there is a song for you."


-Joni Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment